Sunday, December 14, 2014

Christmas Snow House Village

I have become obsessed with vintage Christmas Villages. These tiny villages are so beautiful when lit with a string of white lights and set with lots of snow. After purchasing 3 cardboard houses from Macys approximately 5 years ago I began to look for other houses on the internet. I discovered Cody Foster's houses and I've been coveting them ever since. This year I came across littleglitterhouses.com, from which I printed a template for making my own glitter houses. I made 2 houses and a church, using Howard's template.  Soon after, I found Sandy Foster's blog: My Shabby Streamside Studio, regarding her Christmas snow house village. Sandy created her own Christmas village, recreating houses she has owned.  I fell in love with Sandy's houses and decided I was ready to take the next step and recreate my own home.

This is a picture of my village so far.  The 2 simple white houses and white church were made using Howard's template from littleglitterhouses.com.
 

My white Christmas Village, complete with snow, bottle brush trees, silver tinsel trees purchased a few years ago at christmastraditions.com and Season's Gift Shop in Norwich, NY, and an angel given to me by my friend, Lynelle.
My recreation of my own home.

This is my house


 





This is a recreation of a house on South Broad Street in Hamilton, NY. The real house has shutters, but there wasn't any room for shutters on my little house.  I think the 2 porches really add to the beauty of the house. Of course, lots of snow and pastel bottle brush trees make the scene.  I ordered these trees from hope and joy studios on etsy. She has the most beautiful cream, soft pink, pastel green and raspberry pink trees. I'm in love with them.  I'm learning to make my own trees now.  I'll be posting pictures of them soon.




Two of my original houses, made from Howard's pattern. Check out his website to get started. He lists all of the supplies that he uses and so does Sandy Foster.  She also gives great tips on where to buy many of the supplies she uses.



 I've really loved making my Christmas snow house village. I've found myself waking up in the night thinking about adding a porch to an incomplete house. The best part is lighting the village in the early morning or evening hours when the sun has set.  The soft white light of my village, along with my lit Christmas tree, creates a beautiful ambiance in the living room.

I hope this blog inspires you to make your own village.  There are lots of pictures of beautiful little houses on pinterest. Check it out for inspiration!  I'm working on creating a pastel pink and yellow village next!



 
 

2 comments: